Home alterations and additions have the potential to be costly and time-consuming. That is why it is extremely important to carefully plan and prepare your budget and time, and hire a professional design build team who can do the home alterations and additions in a cost-effective and timely manner. It is also a good idea to understand what you want as your final product.
Top Reasons For Home Alterations And Additions
- Increase the comfort and enjoyment of your home. This should be one of the first and foremost reasons for renovating a home – for your happiness.
- Fix potential safety issues. In some instances, home renovations are not optional and are needed to fix any electrical issues, roof leaks, foundational cracks. If left unattended, these issues can result in catastrophes.
- Improve home value. Renovating a home is an obvious way to give it a huge market value boost. The best immediate returns have been found to be opening living spaces, and updating the bathroom or kitchen.
- Upgrade functionality. Different families and residents have different needs. Sometimes families expand, or individuals decide to work from home, or pick up a new hobby that needs a dedicated space. Home alterations and additions are one way to upgrading the functionality of the home.
- Decrease costs. Although initially costing money, renovations can increase cost-efficiency over time. New windows, heat pumps and improved insulation can drastically decrease costs.
- Improve aesthetics. Upgrading the visual style of your home can make it look more appealing to buyers, and introduce timeless styles or trends that will make you proud of your home.
Regardless of your reason for wanting to upgrade your home, proper planning is needed to make the project a success.
Preparing For Home Alterations And Additions
It is always a wise decision to hire a professional company with the correct licensing, expertise, and tools to complete a project within the best time-frame, and staying within budget. This means that once you have decided on what renovations you want, and the reason you want them, the next step is to choose a contracting company.
The next step in preparation would be to inform your insurance company of your upcoming renovations. The construction increases the risk of something happening to your home and belongings. It is also important to get the necessary permissions, permits and consent that is needed for your area.
Before allowing any builder or contractors into your home, there are a few recommendations to protect your belongings.
- Pack away any belongings that you can into sealed boxes, and cover furniture with sheets. This will protect belongings and furniture from dust and sawdust.
- Remove any paintings, mirrors and pictures from the wall that are at jeopardy of falling and breaking with potential vibrations. The same advice stands for objects on shelves that could fall off.
- Close or cover vents so that dust does not travel throughout the home.
- Move all plants and trees outdoors to avoid them getting damaged.
When the home becomes a construction site, it can be inconvenient at times, and potentially disruptive. For this reason, communication needs to be open and consistent. Decide where you are going to live during the renovations. If it is in the home, decide where you will sleep, prepare food etc. for the temporary time.
Prepare yourself for any surprise costs. Although builders will quote beforehand, and do their best to stick to budget, sometimes things will reveal themselves that need to be fixed or reworked.
A good contractor will maintain open communication channels, respect the space, and stick to schedule. Regardless of your reasons for home additions or alterations, there are ways to prepare yourself for the renovations.